I saw this meme floating around on Facebook. And, while I hate memes, this one got me thinking: what ten books have had an influence on me? Here’s what I came up with (in no particular order):
- Summer of the Swans, Betsy Byars
- Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
- Where the Red Fern Grows, Wilson Rawls (closely beat out The Yearling, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings)
- Night, Elie Wiesel (closely beat out Farewell to Manzanar, Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston)
- Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett
- The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
- Les Miserables, Victor Hugo
- The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Haruki Murakami
- The Call of the Wild, Jack London
- Ansel Adams: An Autobiography, Ansel Adams
There are some authors, whose whole series of work, influenced me. Those include Jack London, John Steinbeck, Alfred Lord Tennyson, Oscar Wilde, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Ray Bradbury.
Photo credit: Kara Allyson, on Flickr.